THE STORY OF ML IN HAARLEM

ML is located in the former printing and die-casting Royal Joh. Enschedé. In 1703, Izaak Enschedé and his son Johannes established their printing and letter foundry in the center of Haarlem. The company remained active there until 1992. After the establishment of the printing business, Enschedé quickly gained fame, among other things with the printing of the Oprechte Haarlemsche Courant, the second oldest newspaper in the world. In addition to printing, the company also engaged in letter casting and making molds and stamps.

In the beginning of the 19th century, Enschedé printed the banknotes for the new Dutch Central Bank and the company received the first order for the printing of postage stamps from the Dutch Post Office. Later the stamps of 65 other countries followed.

After the Royal Joh. Enschedé moved, the monumental building was neglected for a number of years. Until it was bought in 2005 by two enthusiastic, catering companies known to Haarlem. After a radical renovation, in which the original details and interiors have been preserved as much as possible, the monumental building became an atmospheric and modern catering company. The company, called Stempels, was a household name in Haarlem for 12 years and has been acquired by Mark & ??Liane Gratama and Kevin Kion since March 2018.

After a renovation of 2 months, where the history of the building is cherished, the restaurant, bistro, bar and hotel, will continue under the name ML. Restaurant ML started in a small building in the Lange Veerstraat in November 2004. After a period of 3.5 years, ML moved to the beautiful, national monument at Kleine Houtstraat 70, the old bank of loan. On November 23, 2010, ML received the coveted Michelin star. After a period of 10 years, ML is now located at the most beautiful location in Haarlem with a magnificent view of the St. Bavo church.